Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 14, 2017. Looking for gift ideas? Moms love to spend time with their families, so how about giving her a local experience? Here’s a list of great Mother’s Day Activities in Bellingham and Whatcom County.
1. Schooner Zodiac Mother’s Day Cruise, May 14, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. If Mom loves the water, spend Mother’s Day with her on this incredible local sailing adventure departing from the Bellingham Cruise Terminal. Built in 1924, the Schooner Zodiac is a 160-foot wooden sailing vessel with a captain and full crew, as well as sleeping accommodations for up to 25 passengers. Guests also have the option of participating in sailing maneuvers under the supervision of the crew.
The Zodiac will depart its dock in historic Fairhaven village for a 3 and-a-half hour excursion on Bellingham Bay. Work up an appetite assisting the crew in raising the Zodiacâ€™s massive sails and take a turn at the shipâ€™s wheel to steer (under the captainâ€™s supervision of course). The Zodiacâ€™s chef will serve a wonderful brunch buffet fresh from the shipâ€™s galley. All mothers will also be given complimentary mimosas as the ship lingers on Bellingham Bay into the afternoon. Mom will come away with fantastic photos and memories from the ultimate Motherâ€™s Day Brunch! Passengers can also tour below decks which feature the shipâ€™s navigational charthouse, modern galley and spacious salon. Tickets are $79 for adults and $59 for children. Call 206-719-7622 or see schoonerzodiac.com.
2.Â Enjoy Outdoor Art and Music at Big Rock Garden Park, May 14. Walk the garden trails discovering blooming azaleas and rhododendrons, as well as the City of Bellingham’s permanent collection of more than 30 outdoor sculptures. The event is free and open to the public from 1 – 4 p.m. Big Rock Garden Park is located on Sylvan Street in Bellingham. Parking is limited. Attendees may park at Bloedel-Donovan Park and ride the free shuttle to the event. The public is also encouraged to consider riding bikes to the event via the Railroad Trail. For more information call 360-778-7105. Big Rock Garden Park is great for families all year around.
3. Toast to Mom and paint her a picture at Vartanyan Estate Winery. On May 12-14, the public is invited to have a picnic at the winery and enjoy a glass of wine on the outside patio. Guests can also participate in a Date and Paint class at the winery. Date and Paint classes are not serious art lessons. Guests are encouraged to relax, have fun and leave with an awesome piece of artwork. The paint class is $25 and wine tasting is $5, or waived with the purchase of a bottle of wine. Seating is limited, so guests are encouraged to call (360) 325-2457 or email the winery for reservations. Vartanyan Estate Winery is located at 1628 Huntley Rd, Bellingham.
4. Mother’s Day Brunch or Dinner in Bellingham area. Of course there’s also the favorite stand-by of an awesome meal that Mom doesn’t have to cook. Here is a list of scheduled brunch events:
- Hotel Bellwether, Mother’s Day Brunch at Lighthouse Bar & Grill, May 14, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. $42.95*! Ages 6-12 cost $18.95* and ages 5 and under eat free! Ages 65+ receive a 10% discount. (*tax and gratuity not included) Reservations required. Call (360) 392-3183.
- Boundary Bay Brewery, Mother’s Day Brunch, May 14, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Reservations call 360-647-5593.
- Bellewood Acres, Mother’s Day Brunch and Mom’s Mimosa Bar, May 14, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Adults $26, Kids 3-10 $10. Let Mom pick her arrangement onsite with Flower Bar from Pozie by Natalie.
- Pierside Kitchen at Semiahmoo Resort, Mother’s Day Dinner, May 14 , 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. $52 per person, $25 for children 12 and under and free for children five and younger. Reservations required. Call (360) 318-2044.
- Or see our full list of restaurants in Bellingham.
Most importantly give Mom a hug, tell her you love her, and enjoy the day!
For on going events in Bellingham and Whatcom on Mother’s Day Weekend, see our online events calendar.