Tuesday, January 17th, 2012


Tours of George Pickett House Offered Monthly in Bellingham

Although the Civil War was barely a footnote in the history of Washington State, one of its central figures is still remembered here. George E. Pickett’s home in Bellingham, WA is the oldest documented wooden structure on its original site in the state. It is listed on the Washington Heritage Register and the National Register of Historic Places. The Daughters of the Pioneers of Washington maintain the site at 910 Bancroft Street, Bellingham, WA 98225. The home is open for public tours on the second Sunday of each month from 1 – 4 p.m.

In 1856, Captain George E. Pickett and Company D of the Ninth Infantry of the Union Army were dispatched to Bellingham Bay to build Fort Bellingham for the security of early settlers. Pickett built a simple two-story home that year, where he conducted much of his official business. In 1857, he married his second wife, a Kaigani Haida Indian woman named Sakis Tiigang (Morning Mist), who gave birth to his first son James Tilton Pickett. The mother died when Jimmie was an infant, and he was sent to live with a child-less couple near Olympia. When the Civil War broke out in 1861, Pickett, who was a Virginian, returned to the east coast to become a General in the Confederate Army. He never returned. He is remembered in history books for Pickett’s Charge at Gettysburg in 1863.

Carefully maintained as a museum, the Pickett House in Bellingham is located on Bancroft Street between “F” and “E” Street. To get there from downtown Bellingham, go west on Holly Street to F Street, turn right on F Street, go north to Bancroft St. and turn right. The Pickett House is in the middle of the block. It has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1971.