Blaine Harbor in Washington State is one of the most modern marinas and harbors in the northwest and encompasses a rich maritime history.
Boats have been on the move in Blaine Harbor for centuries. Canoes carved from huge western cedar logs carried First Nations people of the Salish Sea along these shore to their fishing grounds and villages. With few roads to travel by land, early settlers depended on boats for moving goods and people. In the late 19th century, a fleet of steamboats known as the Mosquito Fleet delivered mail and supplies to Blaine and other coastal communities.
The late 1880’s were a time of tremendous growth for Blaine’s waterfront. The E Street Warf was built in 1886 from logs cleared from the land around E Street. Today, this area is what we know as Blaine Harbor and E Street is now known at Marine Drive.
Read the full Blaine feature here.
Read full feature article here: Keeping Maritime History Afloat: Discovering and Restoring Blaine Harbor’s Intriguing Past