February is the month for love, and ideas for celebrating are plentiful in Bellingham and Whatcom County.
- Valentine’s Day Escape Package: Four Points by Sheraton Bellingham Hotel & Conference Center in Bellingham, WA has extended its Valentine’s Day Escape Package to run from Feb. 9-19, 2018. The romantic getaway includes a king room, a $50 dining credit at the hotel’s Chinuk restaurant OR B-Town, two free breakfasts and a 2 p.m. late checkout time, all for only $199. For reservations, call (360) 671-1011, ext. 506.
B-Town will also be offering Valentine’s Day Dinner special as well on Feb. 14, 16 and 17, 2018. The dinner will include a three-course meal with a choice of entree. Call for reservations, (360)392-6520.
- Celebrate the Month of Love Package: Hotel Bellwether is offering a Valentine’s Day special through the month of February with a romantic getaway by the bay. For this special, guest receive recieve chocolate covered strawberries and a trio of roses in your room prior to your arrival. This package also includes an exclusive offer to enjoy our “Tails for Two” Maine Lobster special in our restaurant, the Lighthouse Grill – enjoy two Maine lobster tails for the price of one. This combination is sure to impress your sweetheart. Reservations for dinner are required. Please call 360-392-3100 or book here.
- Wine and Cheese Special: The Fairhaven Village Inn is running a Wine and Cheese Special with Galloway’s Cocktail Bar, located right next door to the hotel.
- Romantic Sparks Package: Semiahmoo Resort is offering a package for the entire month of February that includes a 20% off two-night stay, house-made firecracker chocolates a bottle of wine, a $50 credit for Pierside Kitchen, a 50-minute couple’s massage and a Semiahmoo blanket that is yours to keep for cozying up by the fire. Find details here.
- The spa at Semiahmoo is also offering a special for the “month of love” for the entire month of February, which includes the couple’s choice of 50-minute minute Integrated Massage, Eminence Sugar Scrub, or Eminence Customized Facial. It also includes a glass of champagne and a take-home bottle of massage oil. More details can be found here.
- There will also be a three-course dinner available at both the Pierside Kitchen (($50 per person) and the Great Blue Heron Grill ($47.95 per person) on Valentine’s Day. The dinner in Pierside has the option to add wine pairings to each course for an additional $30 per person. You can view the menus for both dinners on the website here.
- Chuckanut Brewery and Kitchen are offering a Sweetheart Dinner special for two, one appetizer, two entrees and one shared dessert featuring Washington short ribs and Lummi Island Wild Salmon for $55 plus tax and tip. Reserve now at 360-752-3377, details here.
- Valentine’s Dinner at EAT: EAT Restaurant and Bar located in downtown Bellingham will be hosting Valentine’s Dinner special. There will be two seatings, one at 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- For $55 per person, the 3-course dinner will include a fresh rose and a chocolate strawberry. Reservation on Open Table or at 360-306 3917
- Pop-Up Chocolate Lounge: Evolve Chocolate will be hosting a Pop-Up Chocolate Lounge in downtown Bellingham from February 8th – February 14th. This is a perfect spot to get your sweetheart a gift or two, we really love their chai sipping chocolates. For more details about Evolves Pop-Up Lounge check out their press release here.
- Valentine’s Day Skate Night: The Bellingham Sportsplex will be hosting Valentine’s Day Skate Night. Come out to support the WWU figure skating team as they prepare for competition.
Tickets sold at the door $7 general admission, $5 student admission. Ticket prices include a showcase of competition routines, 1 hr of public skate, and rental skates. All proceeds go to help the team fund their competition expenses and future community events.
Have a Beer and Get Married?
It’s not traditional, but for some, this is the most romantic spot in the world. Way up on the Mount Baker Highway is a place called North Fork Beer Shrine and Wedding Chapel. Owners Sandy and Vicki Savage produce hand-crafted, British-style ales in small batches on site, and serve hearty pizza. They also perform weddings! Vicki is an ordained minister who takes great pride in creating personal and sacred experiences for her guests in the Beer Shrine. This could be the place to pop the question, come back for the wedding and every anniversary thereafter. (A wedding license must be procured at least 3 days prior to the nuptial.)
Cool socks, Victorian tea, whimsical jewelry and heavenly confections are all unique Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas in Bellingham.
Does your Valentine love soaps and lotions? If so, Otion is the place for you. Located at 301 Holly in downtown Bellingham, it is the spot to make your own soap, lotion, candles, lip balm or other home and beauty products – all with a distinct scent of your choice. Decompress with an hour of full absorption in the fun of crafting products your Valentine will love – and use!
Sweets for your sweetie? The finest grade Callebaut chocolate is imported from Belgium to create a full range of truffles at Chocolate Necessities in Bellingham. Bring your sweetheart into the shop to experience a taste-test, and a warm mug of drinking chocolate (drink of the Gods), as well as wine tasting and Italian gelato. Next door is Pure Bliss Desserts, specializing in cakes, cupcakes and cookies to be enjoyed alongside a glass of Port, Champagne, Wine or Mead. Bellingham is also home to Evolve Chocolates for their pop-up shop.
Find out about these and other Perfect Valentine’s Gifts from Downtown Bellingham’s Chocolate and Specialty Shops.
Known for their aphrodisiac power, oysters are grown in the local waters near Bellingham and are best to eat in months containing the letter “r” (January-April, September-December). That makes February prime oyster-eating season for couples in every budget category.
- Low-budget (and possibly the most romantic): go directly to the source. Take a mid-day outing to Taylor Shellfish Farm on Chuckanut Drive. Bring your own tablecloth, plates, silverware and picnic sides. Purchase fresh oysters in the little farm store, spread out your feast on the picnic tables around back overlooking Samish Bay, and barbecue them on the spot. As Rachel Ray would say, “Delish!”
- High-budget: Make a reservation at the Oyster Bar on Chuckanut Drive, located on the cliff above Taylor Shellfish. This gorgeous venue also overlooks Samish Bay. Get there before sunset for great views through the evergreens. Here the chef prepares a gorgeous array of oysters on the half shell, as well as baked oysters, fried oysters, and variety of gourmet seafood dishes from halibut and salmon to abalone and lobster. The wine list is 27 pages, featuring the best selections from around the world.
- Mid-range budget: For an amazing oyster feast in a funky-fun location, try the Rock and Rye Oyster House at 1145 N State Street in downtown Bellingham. This is a classic cocktail bar, which takes pride in its selection of unique drinks, as well as its selection of local oysters. Try a taste test between Kumamoto, Shigoku, Kusshi, Virginica, Penn Cove, Phantom Creek and Olympia varieties.
Steak & Lobster
The Steakhouse at Silver Reef was voted Best of the Northwest and has won awards from Wine Spectator for multiple years. The mood lighting in this restaurant is perfect for romance, and the food is phenomenal. Enjoy a private booth for two and select from the extensive wine list. For extra romance, try a variety of entrees personally prepared by your server at the table, including the Ceasar salad, Chateaubriand for Two, Steak Diane, or Steak Au Poivre. The steak & lobster is prepared in the kitchen but romantically served under a silver dome. Be sure to see the amazing dessert cart as well. Who can resist Cherries Jubilee flambéed tableside in Cherry Brandy?
Dirty Dan Harris Steakhouse has been a staple in the Historic Fairhaven district of Bellingham for nearly 42 years. They have been serving up the finest custom-aged beef, prime rib, wild caught seafood, salmon, local produce and premium wine and spirits. For more information, call (360)676-1011
Sunsets Over Bellingham Bay
Two upscale waterfront hotels in Bellingham offer amazing views of Bellingham Bay from their guest rooms – the perfect place to romantically watch the sunset. At The Chrysalis Inn & Spa, each bay view guest room has a window seat, fireplace, two-person tub, walk-in shower and spa amenities. Have a bottle of champagne delivered to your room and call it a night. Hotel Bellwether features a 3-story Lighthouse Suite, with a private 360-degree observation deck, living room, kitchen, powder room and fireplace. Cook a romantic dinner while watching the sun go down in style!
Spas for Two
If romance means being pampered from head to toe, a signature spa treatment may be just the ticket. Whatcom County is home to two hotels with full-service spas, each with unique offerings.
- Couples Massage at Chrysalis Inn & Spa. Spend some relaxing time with your partner or a friend and enjoy your choice of our massage experiences in an adjoining room.
- Couples Hot Stone Massage at Silver Reef Casino Hotel Spa. A Native American tradition, hot stone massage has the ability to increase circulation; providing full mind and body relaxation. Silver Reef Spa uses heated river stones in combination with luxurious massage oil, massaging the body from head to toe. You and your special someone can enjoy a relaxing one-hour massage, side by side in one of our lovely treatment rooms.
Temple Bar has been voted Bellingham’s best Happy Hour the past four years in a row. This could be for its hours. Happy Hour runs 11 am to 7 p.m. every day, and Sunday 3 p.m. to close. Enjoy a bottle of wine with your choice of a little cheese plate, land jaeger with dijon and cornichons, or a little savory vegan plate for just $18.
In the Fairhaven Historic District, Galloway’s Cocktail Bar has just opened at 1200 10th Street. The bar features a rich wine and beer selection and 12 unique craft cocktails. Galloway’s is open daily from 3 p.m. until at least 10 p.m.
Other date spots:
Aslan Brewing Co. located at 1330 N. Forest Street, Bellingham. This is always the perfect go-to for a date night, or just to hang out. Food, beers, and smiles all in one spot. Call for further questions, (360) 778-2088.
Boundary Bay Brewery is a relaxed brewpub that attracts many who want a low-key date night. Their food, beer and their location is always a great spot for Valentine’s Day. We recommend calling before you venture down, for more information call (360) 647-5593.
Busara Thai Cuisine. Nothing more says date-night than enjoying some Thai food. Whether it is take-out or dine in, we recommend checking out Buscara in Sehome Village. Be sure to call before you head out, just in case. For more information, call (360) 734-8088.
Colophon Cafe is located in Fairhaven, as a long time cafe known for their creative soups, salads and other global fare treats and desserts. For more information, call (360) 647-0092.
Culture Cafe – Kombucha Town is Bellingham’s local kombucha producers, located at 210 East Chestnut Street in Bellingham. They also have Culture Cafe, where you can grab a pint, specialty kombucha cocktail, and healthy late-night food options. For more information, call (360)746-6558
D’Anna’s Cafe Italiano is a classic date spot in Bellingham. Amazing food, wine and handmade pasta, bread and other favorites! For more information, call (360)714 0188
Fat Pie Pizza is also located in the Historic Fairhaven district in Bellingham. As a relaxed Italian eatery that features pizza, pasta and cocktail specials, we highly recommend checking this place out. For more information, call (360)366-8090
Hops N Headz located in north Bellingham is your neighborhood taphouse and grill, with 30 rotating craft beers. For more information, call (360)392-8506
The Loft is located down by the harbor in Bellingham. Their specials include cocktail deals, salads, appetizers and specials for full bottles of wine. For more information, call (360) 306-5668.
Chihuahua’s Mexican Restaurant, located in Ferndale is another recommendation for a date-night any night. With their festive cantina and tasty meals, you truly can’t go wrong. For more information call, (360)384-5820
Bellewood Acres located on the outskirts of Bellingham, in Lynden on 6140 Guide Meridian, Lynden. This is a great spot learn about anything about apples, with a market, gift shop and distillery tour. They are Washington’s first farm to glass distillery. For more information call (360) 318-7720 or go here.
Overflow Taps is a new date spot to Lynden. Their passion for connecting craft beer and wine to enthusiasts to a meaningful cause is what keeps us coming back. You are able to order food from local Lynden restaurants too. For more information, call (360)788-2033