Leave your cares behind and spend some Happy Hours strolling through Fairhaven. Located within the southern city limits of Bellingham, the Fairhaven Historic District is noted for its colorful 19th century architecture and history. In recent years, the district has blossomed into a lively getaway destination and residential community.
Many red brick relics of Fairhaven’s Victorian era survive in the federally designated historic districtâ€™s six square-blocks. These and newer structures are now home to a variety of unique local shops, art galleries, restaurants and pubs, and one of the best independent bookstores in the nation.
Fairhaven Gives Back is Thursday, Nov. 17, 2016 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. When you shop at participating Fairhaven business or restaurants on this date, 10% of your purchases will be donated to a non-profit. Check this link for details.
Fairhaven Holiday Festival is Friday, Nov. 25 and Saturday, Nov. 26, 2016. Friday evening visit Father Christmas, enjoy the Lighting of the Christmas Trees in the Village Green, and participate in the annual Holiday Art Walk. Saturday afternoon features free horse-drawn carriage rides through the Victorian-era village, followed by the second evening of the Holiday Art Walk at Fairhaven shops. More details here.
Father Christmas and Horse-drawn Carriage Rides, Dec. 3, 10 and 17, 2016. Each Saturday between Thanksgiving and Christmas, the Fairhaven Village Inn hosts Father Christmas and free horse-drawn carriage rides from noon to 3 p.m. Children may leave letters for Father Christmas in the Victorian mailbox on the Village Green stage. More details.
Fairhaven’s local flavor and relaxed vibe make it a perfect spot to spend leisurely afternoons browsing for the unexpected, yet perfect item. Must see shops include:
- Village Books 1200 11th Street,Â Hours: M-Th 10-9, F-Sat 10-10, Sun 10 – 7
- Paper Dreams 1206 11th Street, Hours: M-Th 10-9, F-Sat 10-10, Sun 10 – 7
- Bay to Baker Trading CompanyÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 911 Harris Ave , Hours: M-Sun 10-6
- Eclipse Bookstore 1104 11th Street
- Fairhaven Gold Fine Jewelry, 1302 12th St, Hours: Tu-F 10-5:30, Sat 10-3
- Fairhaven Rug Gallery 901 Harris Ave, Hours: Tu-Sat 10-7, Sun 11-6
- Fairhaven Toy Garden 909 Harris Ave, Hours: M-Sat 10-8, Sun 10-6
- Fairy Godmother’s Unlimited 1200 10th Street
- Rebecca’s Flower Shop 1003 Harris Ave
- Renaissance Celebration Gallery of Art Glass and Designer Jewelry
915 Harris Ave, Hours M-Sat 10:30-5:30, Sun 11-5
- The Garden Room 1006 Harris Ave
Hours: M-Sat 10-6, Sun noon-5
A Peek Inside:
Sidewalk dining, local ingredients and cozy atmosphere are the norm in the historic district. Here are some answers to where to eat in Fairhaven:
- Bookfare Cafe 1200 11th Street, Hours: M-Th 10-8, F-Sat 10-10, Sun 10-7
- Colophon Cafe 1208-B 11th Street, Hours: M-Th 9-8, F-Sat 9-9, Sun 10-8
- Dirty Dan Harris Steakhouse 1211 11th Street, Open 5 pm M-Sun
- Keenan’s at the Pier 804 10th Street, Hours: M-Sun 7am-9pm
- Magdalena’s Creperie 1200 10th Street,Â Hours: T-Sun 11-3
- Skylark’s Hidden Cafe 1308-B 11th St, Hours: M-Sun 8am-midnight
- Fat Pie Pizza 1015 Harris Ave, Hours: Sun-Th 11-10, F-Sat 11-11
- Avenue Bread 1135 11th St., Hours: M-Sun 7am-6pm
- Mount Bakery 1217 Harris Ave., Hours: M-Sun 8-3:30
- OVN Wood Fire Pizza 1148 10th St., Hours: M-Th 11-9, F-Sat 11-10, Sun noon-8
- Papa’s Sweets 1102 Harris Ave.
Fun Happy Hour Ideas
Hugging the southern shoreline of Bellingham Bay, the Fairhaven District is connected by waterfront trail to downtown and Squalicum Harbor on the north side of the Bay. Bellingham is home to three boutique waterfront hotels – two in Fairhaven and one in Squalicum Harbor. Perfect for relaxing in style.
Fairhaven Village Inn 1200 1oth Street, 360, 733-1311, 877-733-1100
- Fairhaven Get-a-Way Package: You don’t have to go far! Stay in Fairhaven and enjoy unique shops, restaurants and trails on Bellingham Bay. Be sure to take advantage of our Wine and Cheese offer – $20 discount each night, plus a wine and cheese welcome gift. Please use code Wine and Cheese 2016 when booking. Offer valid through March 21, 2016. Based on availability, no other discounts apply.
Chrysalis Inn and Spa 804 10th Street, 360-756-1005, 888-808-0005
- Suite Deal Package: Book a nightâ€™s stay in a King Suite or a Corner Suite and receive a 20% discount on the room along with a basket of sweets! Valid Sundays-Fridays.
- The Trifecta Package: Triple the luxury of your stay with this all inclusiveÂ package that featuresÂ a one nightÂ stay, $50 credit in the Spa, and $20 credit in Keenanâ€™s at the Pier restaurant.Â Rates start at $259/night + tax. Available 7 days a week.
- Bed and Brew Package:Â Add to any room type any day of the week for $30! Includes two glasses of local beer on tap from Keenanâ€™s at the Pier, two 22 oz bottles of Boundary Bay Brewery IPA, two pint glasses from Wander Brewing, two beer-infused truffles from Evolve Chocolate, and Bellingham Tap Trail maps to local breweries.
Hotel Bellwether 1 Bellwether Way, 360-392-3100, 877-411-1200
- Luxury by the Bay Package: The leaves are changing and it’s time to Fall into Luxury by the Bay! Book a cozy get-away at the Hotel Bellwether with rates starting from $179.
- Romance Package: Enjoy a one-night stay in a luxurious guest room which features a natural gas fireplace and an over-sized air-jetted tub for your in-room enjoyment. Add a little romance to your stay! What better way than to enjoy romantic roses, a bath bomb, Prosecco, and chocolate covered strawberries in our luxury hotel. Based on availability. Please mention the Romance Package when booking. Rates starting from $239, plus tax.
- ‘CelebraciĂłn – A Taste of Spain’ Fall package: Experience a 2-day taste of Spain. Receive a bottle of Spanish sparkling ‘Cava’ wine, tapas plate and rose upon check-in. A complimentary meal for two in the Lighthouse Bar and Grill featuring our Chef’s Spanish-themed entrĂ¨es including another bottle of select Spanish wine, to top off this package we are including tickets for two to The Whatcom County Museum in historic downtown Bellingham. Please visit our website hotelbellwether.com or call Hotel Bellwehter at 360-392-3100 to book this package, rates stating from $238, minimum 2-night stay, valid for Sat-Thursday arrival only, Sept. 6- Oct. 31.
See all hotels in Bellingham
Fairhaven is easily accessed by car. From Interstate 5, take exit 250 and drive west. Or take Chuckanut Drive, which begins and ends in Fairhaven on the north.
The historic district is also home to Bellinghamâ€™s major transportation hub and features the Bellingham Cruise Terminal and the Fairhaven Station (Amtrak and Greyhound bus). Both facilities are located on Harris Avenue.
The Alaska Ferry departs from the Cruise Terminal each week. Whale watch cruises, skipper chartered cruises and passenger ferries leave daily for the San Juan Islands from the Cruise Terminal throughout the summer.
Historic Fairhaven Association
1106 Harris Avenue Suite #313, Bellingham
Also see our Things to Do pages for fun events and activities throughout Bellingham
- 2:26 AM PST on December 09, 2016
- 12:00 PM PST on December 09, 2016
Rain and freezing rain this morning. Rain showers this afternoon. High 39F. Winds ESE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precip 70%.
Cloudy with periods of rain. High 43F. Winds SE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 90%.
Chance of Rain
Considerable cloudiness with occasional rain showers. High 42F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
A few clouds early, otherwise mostly sunny. High 34F. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph.
Sunny. High 33F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.
Some clouds in the morning will give way to mainly sunny skies for the afternoon. High 32F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.