Low-barrier, community COVID-19 testing through the Whatcom County Health Department (WCHD) and Whatcom Unified Command (WUC) will soon be provided at a new location at the Northwest Washington Fairgrounds in Lynden. The new location will provide shelter from winter weather and replace current testing sites. Testing will continue to be available five days per week, including one weekend day. The location change is effective Tuesday, Dec. 1, and will be reflected in the test scheduling software.
Since August, WUC and WCHD have partnered to provide low-barrier, community drive-through COVID-19 testing across the county. The arrival of Fall and inclement weather necessitated finding a covered location able to accommodate drive-through testing. The new location will protect those being tested, as well as test site volunteers and staff, from harsh weather conditions. The new location also ensures there should be fewer, if any, weather-related cancellations of community testing.
“We know that COVID-19 will be with us for some time – and ongoing testing will be needed even once a vaccine is available in our community,” said Erika Lautenbach, Whatcom County Health Director. “That’s why it is so important to have this new testing location established for the seasons to come, as it will be safe and accessible regardless of the variations in weather we can expect to experience from late fall through early spring.”
Between Nov. 25 and Nov. 30, the WUC/WCHD testing site will vary between the Fairgrounds and existing sites according to the following schedule:
- Wednesday, Nov. 25: 9 a.m.- 12 p.m. at the Nooksack Casino parking lot in Deming 1-4 p.m. at the Northwest Washington Fairgrounds in Lynden
- Thursday, Nov. 26: No testing
- Friday, Nov. 27: 12-3 p.m. and 4-7 p.m. at the Fairgrounds in Lynden
- Saturday, Nov. 28: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1 – 4 p.m. at Civic Field parking lot in Bellingham
- Monday, Nov. 30: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1 – 4 p.m. at Civic Field parking lot in Bellingham
Beginning Tuesday, Dec. 1, all WCHD/WUC testing will be at the fairgrounds site:
- Mondays, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1 p.m.- 4 p.m.
- Tuesdays, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Wednesdays, 12 p.m. – 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Thursdays, Closed
- Fridays, 12 .p.m – 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Saturdays, 9a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Sundays, Closed
Community members may sign up via TestDirectly (or by phone at 360-788-6075) to make an appointment for WUC/WCHD COVID-19 testing.