Stay safe and strong, mask up when inside and be kind! We're happy to see you.

US/Canada Border

Crossing the US/Canadian Border is usually a smooth process. Expect it to take 10-30 minutes, and longer during high traffic volume periods. An occasional full-vehicle search may occur. Remember to bring proper identification for everyone traveling in your group when crossing the border. 

Check out our current Travel Advisory page for local travel restrictions including COVID-19 related guidelines. 

Traveling to the U.S.

  • Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required.
  • Be prepared to verbally attest to your reason for travel and COVID-19 vaccination status. 
  • For more details, visit this U.S. Government website.

Traveling to Canada

  • Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required.
  • Must provide a negative molecular (PCR) COVID-19 test result (from 72 hours prior to arrival) OR proof of a previous positive test result (from between 14 and 180 days prior to arrival). Rapid antigen tests are not accepted.
    • Test must be taken in a country other than Canada.
  • Register with ArriveCAN before you travel. [ArriveCAN website]
  • For more details, visit this Canadian Government website.

Limited Exception for Fully Vaccinated B.C. Residents:

  • Certain residents will not have to take a pre-entry COVID-19 molecular test before coming back to Canada. This refers to residents:
    • Who must travel to the U.S. by land to access or purchase goods or services and who are absent from Canada for no more than 24 hours.
    • Those who attend social visits, events or functions would therefore not be exempt from the pre-arrival testing requirement.
    • For more details, visit this Canadian Government website.

Testing Locations in Whatcom County can be found here

Air Travel

  • Passports are REQUIRED

Land and Sea Travel


  • Passport
  • U.S. Passport Card
  • Enhanced Driver’s License (only available in certain states)
  • NEXUS Card
  • Specific military documents
  • Tribal ID


  • Proof of citizenship (such as original or copy of Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate)
  • Enhanced Government-issued photo I.D. (issued in some states)
  • Passport
  • U.S. Passport Card

*If children are not traveling with both parents, a writtten statement is required from the parent/guardian stating travel is authorized.

  • Non-Americans going to Canada are required to have a passport and/or visa.
  • Legal Permanent US Residents must carry a Green Card.
  • Alaska-Bound Travelers must show proof of sufficient funds for travel in Canada. Call ahead if transporting household effects or tools of the trade.
  • Dogs and Cats must have certificates issued by a licensed veterinarian identifying each animal and certifying that each has been vaccinated against rabies during the preceding 36 month period. Puppies under 3 months cannot cross the border. They must be 4 months old and have had their rabies shots at least 30 days prior to crossing.  Pet food restrictions vary depending on current restrictions. Recommend only bringing small amounts in original package. The number for the CDC ( Center for Disease control) is : 800-232-4636.

Northbound Border Crossing into Canada

Border Wait Times & Cameras:

Southbound Border Crossing into the US
Places to Stay

Canadian shoppers looking for cross-border savings can bring goods back from America, tax free. 

Come stay in Whatcom County for a few days and take advantage of the duty-free allowances. Conveniently located across the border, Whatcom County has a wide variety in shopping, dining, and lodging that is sure to please all bargain savvy Canadians.

Check here for all the details on duty-free shopping in the US.

Whether you’re hunting for bargains or looking for handcrafted wares, boutiques, or outdoor gear, Bellingham and the greater Whatcom County region have many great places to shop. Find out more here.

Bellingham Whatcom County Tourism
Visitor Center Located at I-5 Exit 253 - Check Hours
904 Potter Street, Bellingham, WA 98229
Phone: 360-671-3990

Places to Stay
Getting Here
Read Blogs

Photo Contest
Move Here
Contact Us
Tourism Talk

Industry Resources
Join as a Member
Media Inquiries
Host Groups & Events
About Us
Site by Drozian Webworks
©2022 Visit Bellingham Whatcom County