The Port of Bellingham will host AirFest at Bellingham International Airport from 10:30am-3pm on Saturday, Aug. 24, 2019. The event will be at Bellingham’s new airport location and will feature a new activity – the Haggen Aerospace Speaker’s Pavilion with speakers on topics for both kids and adults.
“We are excited to bring a retired NASA astronaut to AirFest as part of our first industry speaker event,” said Port Commission President Bobby Briscoe. “One of AirFest’s goals is to introduce young people to aviation and careers in the field. Our event speakers either have a direct connection to youth aviation or have inspiring stories designed to appeal to both kids and adults.”
The Haggen Aerospace Speaker’s Pavilion Schedule:
• 11:00 a.m. – Martin Spencer, Whatcom Young Aviators, will discuss aviation-related opportunities for middle and high school students in Whatcom and Skagit counties.
• 12:30 p.m. – Betsy Case, author of the book “Trailblazers: The Women of Boeing,” will talk about women who were aviation pioneers in the industry.
• 2:00 p.m. – Wendy Lawrence, retired US Navy Captain, former helicopter pilot, and former NASA astronaut, will share her inspiring story with many ‘firsts’ including as the first female Naval Academy graduate to become an astronaut and being on the first return to flight mission after the Columbia accident.
In addition to the new Haggen Aerospace Speaker’s Pavilion, the event will also include:
• Aircraft on display
• Aviation-themed arts and crafts with Allied Arts
• A ‘radio booth’ with the Washington Pilot’s Association – North Sound Chapter to listen to conversations between the air traffic control tower and pilots with volunteers on site to explain the conversations and activities.
• Informational booths and industry professionals with information about aviation career opportunities.
• Sign up opportunities for kids with the Young Eagles program for free flights
(scheduled at a later date).
• Area scenic flight tours with Bellingham Aviation Services, $50 per person
• Food Trucks
• Display of airport fire truck and snow removal equipment
• Free admission and free parking
The new free parking location will be in the main airport parking lot thanks to parking sponsor SP+, and the event itself will be in a new location on airport property just north of the commercial terminal building. Attendees should follow signs to the main airport parking lot located right across the street from the terminal. Groups transporting mobility-impaired individuals will have a special pick up/drop off site at the event entrance.
Attendees can also take Whatcom Transpiration Authority’s Route 3 directly to the airport terminal from both the Cordata and Downtown bus stations every hour. The new event location on the north side of the airport terminal will allow spectators an unobstructed view of the runway to get even closer to aircraft activity and view aircraft landing and taking off while still maintaining a safe distance from air operations.
AirFest is hosted by the Port of Bellingham at Bellingham International Airport and is only possible through generous donations from local, regional, and national businesses. AirFest 2019 sponsors are: Haggen Food & Pharmacy, SP+ Corporation, Walton Beverage, Mead & Hunt, Phillips 66, and Whatcom Young Aviators.
AirFest Sponsorship and aircraft display opportunities are still available. Contact AirportOffice@portofbellingham.com for more information.