The City of Bellingham is coordinating a week of free events, activities and presentations celebrating the knowledge, progress and resources the community has to offer when looking for solutions to address global climate change at the local level.
Eleven years ago, the Bellingham City Council adopted Legacies and Strategic Commitments that include reducing the City’s impact on climate change. Two years ago, Council approved an update to the City’s Climate Protection Action Plan, renewing Bellingham’s commitment to reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
To continue this work and build upon the success of the first ALL IN for Climate Action Week in 2019, the City is organizing this educational and fun week again this year between Sept. 20-27 while following guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Several organizations, governments and businesses in the community have partnered to create a list of events for all ages and diverse interest groups, including three events hosted by the City. City events include both kick-off and closing celebrations as well as a film festival competition, “Climate Action in 90 Seconds.” All Whatcom County residents are invited to submit videos between Sept. 9-16. The top 25 videos will be featured at a virtual event on Wednesday, Sept. 23 with the possibility of winning one of two cash awards.
- Sunday, 9/20 5 p.m. – ALL IN for Climate Action Week Kick-Off: Equity and Action (online)
- Monday, 9/21 Noon – Yoga for Earth Activists (online)
- Monday, 9/21 12:15 p.m. – All Things Solar, Storage, and Net Zero Living (online)
- Tuesday, 9/22 6:30 p.m. – Energy and Climate Trivia Power Hour (online)
- Tuesday, 9/22 6:30 p.m. – “The Condor and the Eagle” Film Screening (online)
- Wednesday, 9/23 Noon – Build Electric Washington (online)
- Wednesday, 9/23 3:30 p.m. – Whales and Climate Change – Youth Event (online)
- Wednesday, 9/23 5:30 p.m. – “Climate Action in 90 Seconds” Film Festival (online)
- Wednesday, 9/23 7 p.m. – Can Climate-Friendly Utilities Serve Social Justice? (online)
- Thursday, 9/24 8 a.m. – Climate Action Book Club: “Don’t Even Think About It” (online)
- Thursday, 9/24 6:30 p.m. – Climate and Racial Justice: Sharing Stories of Activism Rooted in Love (online)
- Thursday, 9/24 6:30 p.m. – A Climate of Change – Wild & Scenic Film Festival (online)
- Friday, 9/25 All Day- Bike Anywhere Day (self-guided)
- Friday, 9/25 All Day – Feature Friday Film from the Marine Life Center (online)
- Friday, 9/25 5 p.m. – Protect Our Oceans for Our Birds (online)
- Friday, 9/25 6:30 p.m. – Join the Moderated Discussion of the Film “2040” (online)
- Saturday, 9/26 6 p.m. – ALL IN for Climate Action Week Closing Event (online)
- All Week Bellingham Veg Week (online and at local restaurants)
- “2040” Film Showing (online)
- Community Climate Action Chalk Art Contest (parks throughout Bellingham)
For a full list of activities and to learn more about Bellingham’s ALL IN for Climate Action Week, visit www.cob.org/all-in.
For details about the film festival competition, visit www.cob.org/services/environment/climate/climate-action-in-90-seconds-film-festival.