The Western Washington University volleyball team has been selected as the No. 1 seed in the West Region and will host the eight-team West Regional in the 2018 NCAA Division II Volleyball Championships in Bellingham this weekend, Nov. 15 – 17.
Carver Gymnasium and WECU Court will serve as the host of the eight-team regional, beginning with four matches on Thursday in quarterfinal action. WWU will play No. 8 seed Cal State East Bay in the 7:30 p.m. match Thursday evening, Nov. 15 in Carver Gym. Two semifinal matches will be held on Friday, Nov. 16 (5 & 7:30 p.m.) and the West Regional Championship will be played Saturday, Nov. 17 night at 7 p.m. Ticket information and general tournament information is available by visiting WWUVikings.com/NCAAVB.
Here is the schedule for the NCAA Division II West Regional:
West Regional Quarterfinals (Field of 64)
11/15 (Thur.), 12:00 p.m., Cal State LA (3) vs. Central Washington (6)
11/15 (Thur.), 2:30 p.m., Cal State San Bernardino (2) vs. Chaminade (7)
11/15 (Thur.), 5:00 p.m., Cal Poly Pomona (4) vs. Azusa Pacific (5)
11/15 (Thur.), 7:30 p.m., Western Washington (1) vs. Cal State East Bay (8)
West Regional Semifinals (Field of 32)
11/16 (Fri.), 5:00 p.m., Winner 3/6 vs. Winner 2/7
11/16 (Fri.), 7:30 p.m., Winner 4/5 vs. Winner 1/8
West Regional Final (Sweet 16)
11/17 (Sat.), 7:00 p.m., Winner Semifinal #1 vs. Winner Semifinal #2
The Vikings were one of 24 teams in the 64-team bracket that received automatic qualification after winning their second straight Great Northwest Athletic Conference championship with a perfect 20-0 record in league play.
“This is a tremendous honor for our program and I am really excited for this group of seniors that have really taken the program to the next level,” said head coach Diane Flick-Williams. “We are honored to serve as hosts and looking forward to providing a great student-athlete experience with the tournament in Carver Gym.”
The Vikings (25-3) head into their seventh consecutive NCAA Division II Championship, and 13th appearance in program history, with a 25-match winning streak. After opening the season 0-3 with all three losses to ranked opponents, WWU has recorded 25 consecutive wins to set the program record for the third-longest active winning streak in NCAA II behind Spring Hill (28) and Wheeling Jesuit (26).
“We are ready to get down to business tomorrow in practice and looking forward to the great competition ahead in Carver Gym,” added Flick-Williams.
Regional competition will be single-elimination, best three-of-five-set matches played on the campuses of participating institutions during a three-day period. Participating schools will be seeded according to their final regional rank.
The winners of each of the eight regionals will advance to the final site for the start of quarterfinal play. Teams advancing to the final site will be reseeded before quarterfinals.
Regional games will take place Nov. 15-18 on the campuses of participating institutions. Quarterfinals are scheduled for Nov. 29 and semifinals for Nov. 30 at the A.J. Palumbo Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The DII women’s volleyball championship match will be played Dec. 1 as part of the 2018 Division II Festival.
The complete 64-team bracket can be viewed, downloaded and printed on NCAA.com.
Situated in the middle of the Western Washington University campus, the newly-renovated Carver Gym has a capacity of 2,500 fans and has hosted several NCAA and conference level tournaments. Since 2000, the WWU Volleyball team has played their home games on a Sport Court surface while recording a 149-15 (.909) record. WWU was 10-0 at home in 2018, and has won 28 consecutive matches in Carver Gym.
Regional Volleyball Tournament Ticket Information
- Three-day tournament passes can be purchased in advance for $30 either by phone at 360-650-BLUE (2583) on Tuesday and Wednesday, with hours from 11 am – 5 pm, or in person at the WWU Performing Arts Center.
- Single-day passes can be purchased at the Carver Gym Box Office with the following prices:
- $10 (General Admission)
- $5 (Senior/Student)
- Carver ticket booth and front doors open at 11 a.m. on Thursday, 4 p.m. on Friday and 6 p.m. on Saturday
About Vikings Womens Volleyball 2018
- WWU is 25-3 overall with a current 25-match winning streak to set a school record.
- Finished first in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference with a 20-0 record.
- Lost first three matches of the season, then rattled off 25 consecutive wins.
- Ranked #2 in the most recent AVCA Coaches Top 25 Poll…listed in each of the last 92 AVCA polls.
- Recorded 17 3-0 sweeps, 4-1 in 4-game sets and 4-0 in 5-game sets.
- Senior All-American Abby Phelps has recorded 23 double-doubles and leads the GNAC with 3.91 kills/set. Phelps also set the WWU and GNAC all-time record in kills (1534) and points (1752.0)
- Kayleigh Harper is among NCAA II leaders in blocks (1.43/set) and hitting pct. (.397), averaging 3.24 kills/set.
- WWU is among NCAA II leaders in blocks per set (2.82), kills/set (14.07), hitting pct. (.257) and digs/set (19.19).
- WWU is making its 7th consecutive and 13th overall in program history.
- Advanced to the NCAA West Regional Championship Match three straight seasons (2015-17).
- Head coach Diane Flick-Williams is in her 19th season with a 418-106 career record.
Follow the Games
Bellingham welcomes the many teams and fans from California, Hawaii and Washington who will be traveling for this tournament.
Find Bellingham travel and visitor information including hotels, restaurants, maps and weekend events online at Bellingham.org, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at 360-671-3990, or in person at the Bellingham Visitor Information Center, 904 Potter St., Bellingham, WA 98229.