This year, Matilda travels to Bellingham, WA. Matilda is the story of an extraordinary girl who, armed with a vivid imagination and a sharp mind, dares to take a stand and change her destiny. Roald Dahl’s beloved novel, produced as a film adaptation in 1996, is a bright new Tony-award winning Broadway musical.
Witness the magic at Bellingham Arts Academy for Youth this May-June, 2019. Over four weekends of performances, four different casts of BAAY students will take the stage for Matilda. These junior and senior performers ages 9-16 join together to tell the story of a young girl gifted with strange powers.
Matilda the Musical celebrates the love of reading and learning, the wonder of childhood, and the great power of young people. Directed by Lisa Markowitz and Evan Ingalls, with costume design by Dana Crediford and a student team of designers. Tickets and more information at baay.org.
- Friday, May 10 at 7:00 p.m.
- Saturday, May 11 at 2:00 p.m.& 7:00 p.m.
- Sunday, May 12 at 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, May 17 at 7:00 p.m.
- Saturday, May 18 at 2:00 p.m. & 7:00 p.m.
- Sunday, May 19 at 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, May 31 at 7:00 p.m.
- Saturday, June 1 at 2:00 p.m. & 7:00 p.m.
- Sunday, June 2 at 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, June 7 at 7:00 p.m.
- Saturday, June 8 at 2:00 p.m. & 7:00 p.m.
- Sunday, June 9 at 2:00 p.m.
Tickets: $10 at the door or online at baay.org.
About BAAY: Founded in 2006, Bellingham Arts Academy for Youth is a nonprofit arts education organization that offers quality instruction in theater, choir, dance, music, and visual arts to youth, ages 5-17. A beloved fixture in Bellingham’s thriving arts community, the organization has produced over 100 musicals to date. In addition, BAAY strives to reach new members of the community through its other two branches: the BAAY Preschool and the BAAY EduArts enrichment program, which offers more than 20 arts classes per quarter to elementary students throughout Whatcom County.