2018 marks the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the North Cascades National Park Service Complex, the sprawling reserve that includes the North Cascades National Park, Ross Lake and the Lake Chelan National Recreation Areas in the upper left corner of Washington State. The North Cascades Institute celebrates this milestone in the ongoing story of these mountains and salutes the people who, over the past century, have championed their protection, appreciation and stewardship. The magnificent public lands are here today for all of us to enjoy, recreate, recharge and learn in because of the earlier generations’ forward-thinking stewardship and activism.
Here’s a breakdown of the North Cascades Anniversary Events:
- March 22, 2018: Crown Jewel Wilderness: Creating North Cascades National Park with author & historian Lauren Danner. Village Books, Bellingham, 7 p.m., free.
- March 31-April 1, 2018: Spring Dinner Celebration at the North Cascades Environmental Learning Center featuring “50 Years of Wildlife Science in the North Cascades” presentation by NPS biologist Roger Christophersen. Featuring overnight accommodations, meals and an optional hike to wildlife survey sites. Info and registration: http://bit.ly/2F4Ybfg .
- April 27-29: Nature, Love, Medicine: Essays on Wildness & Wellness with North Cascades Institute founders Saul Weisberg & Tom Fleischner and former NPS interpretive ranger Edie Dillon. 4/27: Village Books, Bellingham, 7 p.m.; 4/29: Elliott Bay Books, Seattle. Both free.
- August 25-26: Weekend of events in North Cascades National Park. More info coming soon
- October 2: A Celebration of the 50th birthday of North Cascades National Park, the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act and the National Trails System Act in Seattle. More info coming soon.
- October 6-7: Harvest Dinner Celebration at the North CascadesEnvironmental Learning Center featuring Crown Jewel Wilderness: Creating North Cascades National Park presentation with author & historian Lauren Danner, overnight accommodations, meals. Info and registration: http://bit.ly/2rRX8Ln.
Experience North Cascades National Park Up Close This Summer
For more than 30 years, North Cascades Institute has helped people of all ages and backgrounds explore, enjoy and learn about this special corner of the country. We are a nationally-recognized education nonprofit that offers many exciting ways to connect with the North Cascades, including:
- Want to enjoy an inspirational weekend in the mountains with your children or grandchildren?
Join a Family Getaway and connect with your family – and nature, too – on the forested shores of Diablo Lake. www.ncascades.org/family
- Want to explore “the American Alps” on your own schedule?
Base Camp offers you the opportunity to explore and learn about the natural and cultural history of the North Cascades while enjoying the comforts of our campus on Diablo Lake in the heart of North Cascades National Park — one of only a handful of overnight venues inside the park! www.ncascades.org/basecamp
- Want to learn in the most stunning classroom you can imagine?
We offer dozens of hands-on Learning Adventures, including single-day and weekend classes on birding, photography, geology, wildlife tracking, journaling, mushrooms and more!
- Only have a few hours and want an easy, delicious way to explore the North Cascades?
Experience the epic beauty of the North Cascades this summer on a fun, interactive Skagit Tour, including Diablo Lake Boat Tours + Lunch, Powerhouse Insider Tours and the “Dam Good” Chicken Dinner + Night Hike. www.ncascades.org/skagittours