During the current pandemic it is important to remember to Recreate Responsibly and follow all safety guidelines. Check out our current Travel Advisory for local travel restrictions including COVID-19 related guidelines.
With over ten different lakes, Bellingham Bay and the Nooksack River to choose from, Bellingham is a fisherman’s paradise. Schedule your visit by time of year to find your dream catch or check out our list of fishing locations to see what’s open and active.
Reefnet fishers who vertically integrated their salmon business to include harvesting, tendering, processing, and distributing. Named one of the top 10 most sustainable fisheries in the world. Experience the freshest seafood, healthy for you, healthy for the planet.
Whatcom County’s home store for the outdoors! Our knowledgeable and friendly staff will help you find what you need, no matter what you are looking for. We are your source for hunting, fishing, boating and more. Come visit us today.
We offer high-quality and unforgettable experiences of the San Juan Islands. We offer custom charters, whale watching tours, fishing around the islands and water taxi services. Outer Island Excursions prides itself in the ability to find whales when others can’t.
Access Via Highway 20
- Baker Lake – Reservoir with 3,616 acres
- Diablo Lake – 910 acres
- Gorge Lake – 210 acres
- Ross Lake – 11,674 acres with boat launch at the north end of the lake in British Columbia
Lakes & Rivers
- Cain Lake (72 acres) Rainbow trout, largemouth bass, yellow perch and kokanee. Planted with trout mid-April. Open season runs from last Sat. in April-Oct. 31. Located nine miles SE of Bellingham. The boat launch at the south end.
- Fazon Lake (32 acres) Largemouth bass, bluegill, cutthroat and tiger muskies. Limits apply, check regulations. Open all year, but floating devices prohibited Oct. 7-Jan 15. Located at Everson-Goshen and E. Hemmi Rds. Boat launch.
- Lake Padden (152 acres) Rainbow, kokanee and cutthroat trout. Planted mid-April. Good shore access and boat launch. No gas motors. The season runs last Sat. in April-Oct. 31. Located in Bellingham at Lake Padden Park.
- Lake Whatcom (5,003 acres) Kokanee, largemouth and smallmouth bass, and yellow perch. Some limits and area closures–check regulations. The boat launch at Bloedel-Donovan Park on the north end, and launch at the south end (permit required). The season runs from last Sat. in April-Oct. 31. Large lake located at the east edge of Bellingham.
- Nooksack River Varies for area of river, and forks of river. Coho, chinook, chum, and pink (odd years) salmon. Winter steelhead and sea-run cutthroat. Check current regulations.
- Samish Lake (814 acres) Kokanee, largemouth bass, perch, and cutthroat. Check regulations. Year-around with best fishing early June and Sept. Boat launch on the east side (must have a permit) and a county park with a dock on the north end. Located six miles south of Bellingham.
- Silver Lake (173 acres) Rainbow and cutthroat trout. Planted early April. The season runs last Sat. in April-Oct. 31. Located in county park up Mt. Baker Hwy, three miles north of Maple Falls.
- Squalicum Lake (33 acres) Cutthroat, brown trout and triploid rainbows at this fly-fishing-only lake. Walk-in access. Year-around. Located six miles NE of Bellingham off Mt. Baker Hwy.
- Terrell Lake (438 acres) Warmwater species: largemouth bass, yellow perch, bullhead catfish, triploid rainbows and cutthroat trout. Dock and boat launch on the west shore. Open year-round. Floating devices prohibited Oct. 7-Jan 15. Located five miles west of Ferndale.
- Toad Lake (29 acres) Trout and kokanee. Planted mid-April. Boat launch on SW end via Toad Lake Rd. The season runs last Sat. in April-Oct. 31. Located five miles NE of Bellingham.
- Wiser Lake (23 acres) Yellow perch and pumpkinseed sunfish. Year-around season. Boat launch. Located three miles southwest of Lynden.
Love the Outdoors?
- Discover the San Juan Islands on a Small Ship Cruise out of Bellingham
- Hike Ladder Creek Falls in Newhalem, WA
- Mountain and Water Landmarks of Whatcom County near Bellingham
- 3 Loop Hiking Trails at Lookout Mountain Forest Preserve
- Check out our Hiking, Bicycling, Scenic Drives, Golfing or Snowsports page.