Located on the north end of Chuckanut Drive, within the southern city limits of Bellingham, Fairhaven Historic District is known for its colorful 19th-century architecture and history. Fairhaven is a lively visitor destination and residential community. Stay in boutique lodging and walk to locally-owned shops and cafes.
Many red brick buildings of Fairhaven’s Victorian-era survive in the federally designated historic district. Most of these are now home to a variety of unique local businesses, art galleries, restaurants and pubs and one of the best independent bookstores in the nation.
Shopping in Fairhaven
Fairhaven’s relaxed vibe makes it a perfect spot to spend leisurely days boutique shopping. Must see shops include:
Eating in Fairhaven
Sidewalk dining, local ingredients, and cozy atmosphere are the norm in the historic district. Here are some suggestions on where to eat in Fairhaven:
Hotels in Fairhaven
Hugging the southern shoreline of Bellingham Bay, the Fairhaven District is connected to downtown Bellingham by Taylor Dock. Bellingham has three boutique waterfront hotels – two in Fairhaven and one in Squalicum Harbor near Downtown Bellingham.
Fairhaven Village Inn 1200 10th Street, (360)733-1311
- Wine and Cheese Package: Book this package any day of the week and at check-in receive a certificate for a bottle of wine and a cheese plate to be used at Galloway’s, located right off the lobby! Choose from a bottle of red or white complimented by a plate of finely selected cheeses in our deco-era cocktail bar. Cheers!
Chrysalis Inn and Spa 804 10th Street, (360)756-1005, (888)808-0005
- The Trifecta Package: Triple the luxury of your stay with this all-inclusive package that features a one night stay, $50 credit in the Spa, and $20 credit in Keenan’s at the Pier restaurant. Available 7 days a week.
- Bed & Brew Package: Add to any room type any day of the week for $30! Includes two glasses of local beer on tap from Keenan’s at the Pier, two 22 oz bottles of Boundary Bay Brewery IPA, two-pint glasses from Wander Brewing, two truffles from Evolve Chocolate, and Bellingham Tap Trail maps to local breweries.
Hotel Bellwether 1 Bellwether Way, 360-392-3100, 877-411-1200
- Romance Package: Enjoy a one-night stay in a luxurious guest room which features a natural gas fireplace and an over-sized air-jetted tub for your in-room enjoyment. What better way than to enjoy romantic roses, a bath bomb, Prosecco, and chocolate covered strawberries in our luxury hotel. Rates starting from $244 + tax. This package can be added on to any room reservation for $65!
- Preferred Suites’ Executive Discount Rate: Treat yourself to Luxury this Fall/Winter season with an exclusive discount for a two-night minimum stay in one of Hotel Bellwether’s Expansive Junior or Signature Suites. Offer valid for 2-night minimum stays with arrival dates Sunday-Thursday.
- Lover’s Secret Hideaway Escape: Offer valid Sun-Thur; 09/03-10/31 only. Enjoy a special $179 rate (regularly priced $209-$299) for our Plaza-view rooms, incl. a Split of Prosecco and a Rose – Relax and feel the Love by the Bay! Sneak away with your special someone, beat the summer crowds and enjoy an incredible room discount! As a special ‘Thank You’ to our honored guests, you are invited to enjoy this exclusive, limited-time offer of a $179 Plaza-view rate with a Split of Prosecco and Rose delivered to your room AND a complimentary, on-arrival upgrade subject to availability. We offer complimentary Wifi and secure underground parking all while enjoying the best service and ambience in Bellingham! Offer is valid for select dates, Sunday-Thursday September 3-October 31 only. Thank you to our loyal patrons of Hotel Bellwether – and a special welcome to our first time guests – we are looking forward to showing why Hotel Bellwether was voted the #1 Luxury Hotel in the Northwest by Evening Magazine!
Nov. 29 – Dec. 21: Enjoy glittering lights, horse-drawn carriage rides, visits with Santa, festive window displays and delicious snacks while holiday shopping in this charming historic village. Plan to be in Fairhaven the day after Thanksgiving on Friday, Nov. 29 for the official tree lighting ceremony and evening art walk to kick off the celebration. Then continue the fun on Small Business Saturday, Nov. 30 with horse drawn carriage rides starting at noon.
On weekdays, Fairhaven charms shoppers with its festive lighting and window displays. Local merchants help locate the perfect gifts for all ages from children’s toys to art, jewelry, clothing, housewares, food and wine.
Festivities continue each Saturday between Thanksgiving and Christmas, culminating in a district-wide FaLaLa Caroling competition on Saturday, Dec. 21. from 3:15 to 4:15 p.m. For more details see FairhavenWinterfest.com.
Take advantage of fall/winter rates at local lodging and make a full getaway out of your visit.