Leave your cares behind and spend some Happy Hours strolling through Fairhaven. Located on the north end of Chuckanut Drive, within the southern city limits of Bellingham, the Fairhaven Historic District is noted for its colorful 19th-century architecture and history. In recent years, the district has blossomed into a lively getaway destination and residential community.
Many red brick relics of Fairhaven’s Victorian-era survive in the federally designated historic district‚Äôs six square blocks. These and newer structures are now home to a variety of unique local shops, art galleries, restaurants and pubs, and one of the best independent bookstores in the nation.
Special Event: Fairhaven Food Fest, March 5 – 11, 2018
Come out for some local flavor. Monday, March 5 through Sunday, March 11, the Historic Fairhaven Association and participating restaurants invite area residents and visitors to dine in Fairhaven. Each restaurant will offer a weekly special in addition to their regular menu items.
Area restaurants and cafes will give out a Fairhaven Food Fest coaster “passport” at your first dine. With a minimum of three (3) stamps accumulated, diners will be eligible to enter a drawing for a $100 gift card to a participating restaurant of their choice.
Fairhaven’s local flavor and relaxed vibe make it a perfect spot to spend leisurely afternoons browsing for the unexpected,¬†perfect item. Must see shops include:
- Village Books 1200 11th Street,¬† Hours: M-Sat 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sun 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Paper Dreams 1206 11th Street, Hours: M-Sat 9 a.m to 9 p.m., Sun 10 a.m. to ¬†7 p.m.
- Bay to Baker Trading Company¬†911 Harris Ave, Hours: M-Sun 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sun 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Eclipse Bookstore 1104 11th Street,¬†Hours M-Thurs 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Fri and Sat., 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sun 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Fairhaven Gold Fine Jewelry, 1302 12th St, Hours: Tu-F 10-5:30, Sat 10-3
- Fairhaven Rug Gallery 901 Harris Ave, Hours:¬†Mon, Wed-Fri 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sat 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m, Sun 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Fairhaven Toy Garden 909 Harris Ave, Hours: M-Sat 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sun 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Rebecca’s Flower Shop 1003 Harris Ave, ¬†Hours: M-Sat. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Renaissance Celebration Gallery of Art Glass and Designer Jewelry¬†915 Harris Ave, Hours M-Sat 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Sun 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Garden Room 1006 Harris Ave, ¬†Hours: Mon-Sat 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sun 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
A Peek Inside:
Sidewalk dining, local ingredients, and cozy atmosphere are the norm in the historic district. Here are some answers to where to eat in Fairhaven:
- Colophon Cafe 1208-B 11th Street, Hours: M-Th 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., F-Sat 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sun 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Dirty Dan Harris Steakhouse 1211 11th Street, Hours Tues-Sunday 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Keenan’s at the Pier 804 10th Street, Hours: M-Sun 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Magdalena’s Creperie 1200 10th Street,¬†Hours: T-Sun¬†9 a.m to 4 p.m.
- Skylark’s Hidden Cafe 1308-B 11th St, Hours: M-Sun¬†8 a.m. to 12 a.m.
- Fat Pie Pizza 1015 Harris Ave, Hours: Sun-Th 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., F-Sat 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- lovitt¬†restaurant¬†1114 Harris Ave,¬†Hours Tue-Thu 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., F-Sat 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Avenue Bread 1135 11th St., Hours: M-Sat. 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sun 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Mount Bakery 1217 Harris Ave., Hours: M-Sun 8 a.m to 3:30 p.m.¬†
- OVN Wood Fire Pizza 1148 10th St., Hours: M-Th 11:30 a.m. to ¬†9 p.m., F-Sat 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., Sun 11:30 a.m. to p.m.¬†
- Fairhaven Poke 1102 Harris Ave.¬†Hours: M-Sun 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Fun Happy Hour Ideas
Hugging the southern shoreline of Bellingham Bay, the Fairhaven District is connected by waterfront trail to downtown and Squalicum Harbor on the north side of the Bay. Bellingham is home to three boutique waterfront hotels – two in Fairhaven and one in Squalicum Harbor. Perfect for relaxing in style.
Fairhaven Village Inn 1200 1oth Street, 360, 733-1311, 877-733-1100
- Fairhaven Get-a-Way Packages are offered
- Click here to learn more about specials from Fairhaven Village Inn
Chrysalis Inn and Spa 804 10th Street, 360-756-1005, 888-808-0005
- Suite Deal Packages are offered, along with other hotel and spa packages
- Click here to learn more about the seasonal packages offered at Chrysalis Inn and Spa
Hotel Bellwether 1 Bellwether Way, 360-392-3100, 877-411-1200
- Luxury by the Bay Packages are offered seasonally
- Click here to learn more about season packages at Hotel Bellwether
See all hotels in Bellingham and Whatcom County
Bellingham Visitor Information Center, 360-671-3990, bellingham.org, email@example.com.
Fairhaven is easily accessed by car. Take Chuckanut Drive, which begins and ends in Fairhaven on the north. Or, from Interstate 5, take exit 250 and drive west.
The historic district is also home to Bellingham‚Äôs major transportation hub and features the Bellingham Cruise Terminal and the Fairhaven Station (Amtrak and Greyhound bus). Both facilities are located on Harris Avenue.
The Alaska Ferry departs from the Cruise Terminal each week. Whale watch cruises, skipper chartered cruises and passenger ferries leave daily for the San Juan Islands from the Cruise Terminal throughout the summer.
Historic Fairhaven Association
1106 Harris Avenue Suite #313, Bellingham
Also see our Things to Do pages for fun events and activities throughout Bellingham and Whatcom County
The location could not be found.